Friday, January 4, 2013

What do you mean you can't find it?

So yesterday morning, what was supposed to be a quick trip to pick up my husband's pickup from the shop, turned into a 35 minute ordeal in which we were very seriously told, "We can't find your vehicle."  Those who know me, know that I am not a very patient person in certain circumstances.  This was one of those circumstances.  Those who know me, also know that I am not a morning person most days.  This was one of those days.  Needless to say I was frazzled by the time I arrived at work twenty-five minutes later than expected.  In a conversation with my boss, I explained not only the ridiculous reason for my tardiness, but also that I had spaced out a doctor's appointment and would therefore need to leave early.  I felt like just flushing the entire day with a start and an end like that! 

However, five minutes later, a little boy who loves super heroes, changed my mind.  An hour later, a little boy who finally learned all his short vowel sounds, changed my mind.  Two hours later, a little girl with a new haircut, changed my mind.  My day was not a waste.  There was so much good to be had and here I was choosing to be mad about waiting for our pickup instead of enjoying the extra thirty-five minutes with my kids (even if it was while they were strapped into their car seats while my husband and I waited for our vehicle to be "found").  I was choosing to have negative thoughts about my doctor's appointment even though I thoroughly enjoy the company of my doctor and respect what she has to tell me.  I was choosing to throw away a day that had just begun for the students at my school.  Lucky for me, that little boy who loves super heroes, changed my mind early.  I thanked God for that little boy today.

While getting my own children ready for bed last night, my three year old whispered, "Mommy, you a sweetheart.  I love you like crazy cakes."  My day was not a waste.  I thanked God for that little boy today too.

Everyday has something good and I am so thankful I didn't flush this one away.

No comments:

Post a Comment