Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year and Looking Back

"It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes, or bags.  Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before.  Maybe Christmas doesn't come from a store. Maybe Christmas...He thought...means a little bit more."
                                                                                                        ~ From the Grinch the movie

Today as I started each of my groups, I gave each student two minutes on the visual timer to spend talking about whatever they wanted to share that was special about Christmas break.  Some of the kids shared about the new xbox they got, or the new snowboard, or video game.  However, the majority of the kids spent their two minutes sharing what they did and who they did it with.  Though they may have thrown in a "I got a new __________ from __________," the excitement and focus was not on the gifts, but rather the joy found in who it was from and spending time with those they love and those who love them.

Reflecting on my own life, I can only pray that I have the tools as a mother to raise my children to appreciate the who above the what.  During my own vacation it was a joy to see my children open up their packages and get excited about presents...a new combine from a favorite Grandpa picked out for a little one who loves all things farm...special night lights to give the children a sense of security from Grandma...warm blankets and new jammies from Mom and Dad to cozy in bed in on Christmas Eve.  These gifts, I know my children will use, love, and remember, but above all, I hope they will cherish the special people they received these gifts from but more importantly the time spent - sleeping in and baking cookies with mom, riding in the tractor with Papa, shoveling snow with dad, snuggling with Grandma, playing with cousins at the hall - when they are given their two minutes to share what made Christmas break special.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment