Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Dyslexia and Bananas

Tonight after school, I went to the grocery store to pick up macaroni, chocolate milk, and bananas...a few forgotten items from yesterday's stock up trip. When I got to the check out, I realized I had forgotten the bananas. Luckily, the cashier was kind enough to let me run back and get them. By the time I returned two more people were waiting in line, waiting for me to get my bananas. I jokingly said, "that's what happens when the list is in my head and not on paper.". This of course had some truth to it, but the bigger reason for forgetting the bananas was because I had dyslexia on my mind. Specifically, a 7 year old blondie, with a shy smile, a love of hunting, and a soft spot for dogs...who just happens to be dyslexic. Some people can leave work at work, teachers cannot.

I have been involved with this student for over a year now, however, his dyslexia identification is a recent development. Being the kind of person I am, I have been reading and information gathering since the word "dyslexic" came up. I have recently been to a workshop with presenter Karen Bourne as well as consulting with a local "expert." Additionally, I have been scouring the internet for information, listening to books on audible, and immersing myself in the self-proclaimed user friendly "Dyslexia for Dummies." But it's not enough! I keep thinking, if this was my kid, I would be researching, fighting, advocating, to find a way "around" dyslexia - so I must keep researching, fighting, advocating, and searching for a way around dyslexia because this kid is "mine."

Dyslexia is a diagnosis. Dyslexia is a disability. Dyslexia is not a choice. There is no cure, but there are ways around this obstacle. I am determined to find them.

No wonder I forgot the bananas!

No comments:

Post a Comment