Saturday, January 12, 2013

An Apple a Day

Fooducate. The new app I was recently introduced to, Fooducate, is yet another "tool" promising to help us make healthier choices in regards to eating. It is rather helpful and informative. You simply scan the bar code on food packaging and the app spits out a grade from F-A with pluses and minuses in between, F being the poorest in nutritional value and A being the most nutritional. Being the kind of person and mother I am, I am constantly looking for ways to feed my boys the most nutritional food possible while still making it taste good.

In light of my new found knowledge, I am trying out some new things this weekend. Multi grain french toast for breakfast. Chicken breasts and Kale chips for lunch. It was rather comical to watch my skeptical boys try this version of chips. There was quite a lot of chewing accompanied by thoughtful stares. The verdict: not so bad. If you are curious about how to make kale chips, see below.***

Okay so now on the flip side, it is -3 degrees with a wind chill that makes that temperature feel like something more like -20 or -30. Healthy eating of not, it was a cookie baking kind of day. Chocolate chip on this day, as requested by my three year old. Dad threw down the rule, only one before lunch, but I believe he broke his own rule by 2 or 3, but who's counting. This brings me to the title of my post today, apples.

I recently read an article about weight loss and healthy eating. One piece of advice that stood out to me was, "If you aren't hungry enough to eat an apple, you aren't hungry." Great advice! However, today, I was hungry enough to eat an apple, which I did and I still had room so I ate three cookies as well. Maybe that's not what they meant. Oh well, we all thoroughly enjoyed the cold cookie baking day and especially the end product.

I did have my apple today and I do try my best to feed my family nutritious meals. I am learning though that the body is not the only thing I need to take care of. My spirit is hungry as well and my boys need me to not only feed their bellies, but also to feed their spirits. My three year old reminded me of this last night at supper when he requested his favorite prayer, Johnny Appleseed, a long standing family favorite. The connection was clear for me, the spirit is hungry for "apples" too.

Literally and metaphorically...an apple a day.





***Kale Chips

1 bunch kale, washed and dried, stems removed
1-2 tsp. olive oil
fine salt (popcorn salt) or seasoning salt

Directions: Line non-insulated baking sheet with parchment paper. Tear kale into bite size pieces and spread on parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until edges are slightly brown, but not burned. You may have to "stir" them around once or twice depending on how evenly your oven bakes. Remove from oven, cool, enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment