Monday, March 3, 2014

I Said, Yes...?


Within a few short weeks, the boy and I were inseperable.  His motorcycle was cool, his red shoes were unique, and his hair color was temporary.  He walked me to class each morning and gave me rides to my grandparents afterschool.  We went to a movie and another football game or two.

On September 5th, sitting in the driveway  at my parents house, he asked me to be his girlfriend.  I could still swear that the phrase going through my head was, "not yet;" that I was thinking I'm having fun, but I'm not ready to be someone's girlfriend...I haven't even asked my date if I can date yet!  However, what I said was, yes.  I said, yes!?!

A month later, we shared our first kiss in the porchlight.  It was short, sweet, and innocent...everything a first kiss with your high school sweetheart should be.  He then whispered, "Do you know, I love you?...(silence)...well, I do."  To which I replied, "I know."

I was not ready to reciprocate, nor was I ready for the event that would shake my young life to the core.

1 comment: